< Back to Job Listings
Practical Assistance Worker
Company: Kingston Community Health Centres
Date Posted: May 14, 2014
Closing Date: May 28, 2014
Position is: PT
Hours Per Week: 17.5
How To Apply:
• Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
• Save all documents as a single file using your own name (Last, First). A PDF format is preferred.
• Email to firstname.lastname@example.org citing reference “PAW-2014” in the subject line.
• Applications must be received by Human Resources by 4:00 pm, May 28, 2014.
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Department.
Kingston Community Health Centres, 400 Elliott Avenue, Kingston, Ontario K7K 6M9
Working with the Community Development Team, the Practical Assistance Worker assists and advocates for/with individuals and families in meeting their practical, short-term needs by focusing on solutions; this may include assisting clients in application for and obtaining services or documents.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Aid clients in the application for and navigating through government services and documents
• Make internal and external referrals, utilizing organization and community resources
• Assist, relate and advocate for individuals and families in meeting their short term practical needs in the areas of income issues (Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program and low income issues), utilities, personal identification, food, dental, and other areas as identified
• Work with internal staff and community agencies to provide required service while seeking to minimize duplication of services
• Maintain records and data as required
• Provide written reports outlining frequency of issues addressed and numbers of community members assisted
• Promotes and demonstrates through example the mission, values, and culture of KCHC. Demonstrates a commitment to quality and continuous improvement
• Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including provincial and federal privacy regulations. Supports consistent application of KCHC policies and procedures, and supports program policy and procedure development as needed
• Maintains competence through participation in training appropriate to the position
• Supports the Centre’s student and volunteer placement programs
• Promotes awareness of and participation in Centre activities
• Works during both regular and extended hours in locations identified by KCHC
• On occasion, performs other temporary duties as required
Work Site Location:
Minimum Requirements / Work Experience:
• College Diploma in social services or related field plus 1-2 years practical experience in community advocacy work OR equivalent experience
• Proven ability to obtain and maintain trust with community members and agencies
• Knowledge of community resources
• Strong understanding of challenges faced by low-income individuals and families
• Awareness of provincial and federal privacy regulations and child protection legislation
• Strong oral and written communication skills (French Bilingualism or proficiency in another language an asset)
• Proficiency with office based computer systems and relevant software applications
• Strong interpersonal skills, and a commitment to being a “team player”
• Well-developed organizational skills and above average attention to detail
• Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
• Availability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings
• Current CPR and First Aid
• Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
• Valid Driver’s License, valid insurance coverage and access to a reliable vehicle
Copyright © 2014 Kingston Employment and Youth Services