< Back to Job Listings
Wage Comments: remuneration is based on experience and initiative.
Date Posted: October 28, 2013
Closing Date: November 15, 2013
Position is: FT
Hours Per Week: 40
How To Apply:
Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
•Completes a thorough examination of houses, cottages and commercial buildings both internally and externally to determine the structural condition, habitability and safety of the building.
•Visually inspects buildings looking for damage, evidence of deterioration, improperly installed components and amateur maintenance work.
•Checks each structure thoroughly for the condition of the buildings key elements including the roof, foundation, floors, walls, insulation, furnace, plumbing and electrical systems.
Reports to: Company Owner
Description of Duties & Responsibilities:
•Meets with clients to determine need and schedule time and date of inspection.
•Conducts a visual inspection of the building including roofing, exterior, structure, insulation and ventilation, electrical, heating and cooling, plumbing and interiors.
•Prepares a detailed report on the condition of the building in written form, including information about any safety hazards, maintenance and required repairs if any following the inspection.
•Answers any questions the client may have in regards to the inspection
•Maintains on-going marketing of services by networking with various realtors lawyers, contractors, builders and home owners.
•Maintains on-going professional development and awareness of changing bylaws, building codes, building materials, technological improvements and construction methods.
• 40 hour flexible work week in order to meet client demands and timelines
• Weekend work required as needed
Physical and Mental Demands:
•The work is physically demanding. Inspectors are routinely required to squeeze into tight spaces during inspections, lift items (include weight) and use ladders to climb onto rooftops. Inspectors can also be seated in a car driving long distances.
•Juggling priorities and managing real estate closing deadlines can cause significant stress. Additionally, exposure to a wide variety of people requires tolerance to diversity and tact in handling conflict. Ability to synthesis information into a clearly written report is important. Mental alertness is required when driving to and from inspections.
•Intense concentration and attention to detail, and high levels of accuracy during inspections and the reporting process.
•Home inspectors most commonly work from a home office and from their vehicle as well as the clients building location.
Work Site Location:
Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Gananoque
Minimum Requirements / Work Experience:
• Solid oral and written communication skills
• Good interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of building construction, building codes and bylaws as applicable
• Critical thinking skills
• Basic computer skills
• Basic knowledge of MS Office, Outlook
• Member of the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors preferred
• Registered Home Inspector (RHI) designation or working toward it(an asset)
• Graduate from a college or business program in business administration or architecture or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
• Must be bondable and clear a criminal record check
• Must have own vehicle (capable of carrying ladders, and appropriate inspection tools) with appropriate insurance coverage
• Portable laptop computer and mobile telephone
• Must be able to obtain a Canadian Passport
Other Job Requirements:
Copyright © 2013 Kingston Employment and Youth Services